Keeping a pet is easy, but its training part needs extra attention. Training varies from breed to breed. If your dog is stubborn and does not listen to the first call, you must struggle hard for its training. On the other hand, if your puppy is sober and obeys orders, its training is not a problem. In the following article, we learn how to potty train a Puppy? So please don’t skip the article from anywhere and read it carefully because it will be very useful for all of you guys.
Training also depends on the experience of the caretaker. Potty training a pup is a tough job. First, you should understand your dog’s temperament and then design a plan accordingly. With puppies, patience and commitment are necessary. Not all puppies are intelligent enough to understand and adapt to new things on the first go.
How to potty train a Puppy
You have to be patient and show consistency with the same attitude. Do not be too harsh or polite that the dog does not listen. Follow the following simple instructions to potty train your pet:
- Set up a routine for your pet. Make a timetable including the time for its meal, playtime, time to go out, and time to go to the bathroom. This routine will help it to follow the same pattern every day.
- Knowing your dog is the primary step. A puppy can hold its bladder for about one hour if it is one year old. When it turns two, it may hold it for about two hours.
- Make it normal to take your puppy out. Take it out every two hours and especially one hour after a meal. You can also take it out after playtime because playing increases metabolism, and your puppy may feel like having an urgency to use the bathroom right after that.
- Once you establish its routine, set some rewards for its every success. If he follows instructions and goes out frequently, reward your pet with some snacks or a cuddle.
- Specify a place for his bathroom and let it sit on the pot. You can set up a name that makes your puppy understand to go to the bathroom immediately. It will improve your communication as well.
- If you do not want your puppy to pee at night and mess around, pick up the water bowl from his side. Make it a habit so he does not ask for it.
- Take your puppy out right after he wakes up and before he goes to bed. Make it a routine, so he may walk out himself and use the bathroom when you are not around.
- A routine schedule may help to feed your puppy on time. When you know your dog had the meal, take him out right after one hour of the meal. Make him walk for about half an hour and take him to the bathroom.
You should keep in mind the following instructions if you are potty training a puppy:
- Make sure the bathroom spot is clean and disinfected properly. It will not allow your puppy to get infected.
- Try to clean the area properly to avoid any smell that may ruin the environment.
- Never punish the puppy for not following the instructions properly. Treat him politely instead.
Also read: How to help someone with depression